School Resource Officer
In June 2009, the Cumberland Valley School District and the Silver Spring Township Police Department formed a partnership that would serve as a joint cooperative effort between the 2. The purpose of this partnership is to foster an efficient and cohesive program that will build a positive relationship between police officers and the youth of our school district.
The goals of the School Resource Officer (SRO) program are:
- Create, implement, and expand programs designed to encourage and increase student participation, which will benefit the students, school district, police department, and the community
- Establish rapport and channels of communication with parents, faculty, staff, administrators and other adults in the school community
- Establish rapport and channels of communication with students
- Provide a safe and secure environment for all students, faculty, staff, administrators and other adults in the school community
- Reduce criminal conduct committed by juveniles and young adults
- Reduce incidents of school violence
The SRO program utilizes the SRO Triad concept as set forth by the National Association of School Resource Officers. Under the Triad concept the SRO will fill the role of law enforcement officer, counselor and teacher.