James Silver was an early settler in the area now known as Silver Spring Township which was organized as a Township bearing his name in 1757. The Township is situated on major east-west and north-south transportation routes, and shares the rich Revolutionary and Civil War heritage of the region. This strategic location continues to offer benefits that attract residential, industrial, and commercial development to the municipality. The Township is comprised of 33.6 square miles with a population of 13,657 (2010 Census). As a Township of the Second Class, Silver Spring Township is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors. Municipal services include Administration, Police, Public Works, Planning & Zoning, Building & Codes, and Parks & Recreation.