Drug Task Force
The Silver Spring Township Police Department has been a participant of the Cumberland County Drug Task Force since 1987. The drug task force operates under the direction of the Cumberland County District Attorney's Office and is composed of sworn law enforcement officers from agencies throughout Cumberland County.
The purpose of the drug task force is to work alongside local, state and federal drug enforcement agencies to coordinate and conduct drug investigations. These investigations are accomplished by maintaining an intelligence databank of suspected illegal drug dealers and users, employing electronic surveillance equipment to conduct covert operations, and seizing the assets of apprehended drug dealers as provided by law.
Core Drug Task Force Activities
- To conduct surveillance operations of locations and/or individuals suspected of illegal drug activity
- To conduct undercover drug operations involving the use of both police and civilian informants
- To document in report form all investigative activity conducted by the task force
- To establish an intelligence system which records all suspected and confirmed drug users and dealers and dealers who come in contact with law enforcement authorities
- To establish and conduct liaison contacts with state and federal drug enforcement agencies
- To inventory, store, and maintain all property and contraband seized during drug investigations
- To maintain and become proficient in the use of electronic surveillance equipment and techniques
- To select and train county and municipal personnel for drug investigations