Joint Compost Facility
Silver Spring Township partners with Mechanicsburg Borough to offer a drop-off location for the disposal of leaves, brush and shrubbery clippings, which are then turned into mulch. Residents are permitted to pick-up mulch for use on their personal property (while supply lasts), at no charge, however, an access card must be purchased for entry. The Joint Compost Facility is for those currently residing in Silver Spring Township and/or the Borough of Mechanicsburg. Access cards are available for residents and commercial businesses by contacting either municipality. Access cards are available at the Township office.
The Joint Compost Facility is located at 842 W Church Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055, which is adjacent to the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Penn Waste Yard Collection
Penn Waste has scheduled yard material pickups for the weeks of April 22, May 13, and October 21, 2019, during normal waste removal day. Please note that dates may be subject to change based on Penn Waste scheduling, so check the Penn Waste website for updates. Permitted items include tree trimmings (6" max diameter), shrubbery, and other organic landscape vegetation. Penn Waste does not limit the number of biodegradable bags that can be placed for pickup. Any questions, call Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456.
Minimal fees help to cover the costs to maintain and operate this facility.
- Residents can utilize the facility by purchasing an access cold for their household. The cost for residents is $10 and is valid from the date of purchase to December 31 of each year. Annual renewal requires payment and is required for continued use of the facility.
- Commercial Landscaping Businesses utilizing the facility are required to have a Commercial Business Access Card. The cost for a Township business is $900, all other businesses located outside of the township will pay $1,500.
- Cost of card is not prorated.
Access cards are available for purchase at the Silver Spring Township Administration Office, 8 Flowers Drive, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050.
Rules For Use
- The facility is for leaves, brush, and shrubbery clippings
- Use of the site is at your own risk. Due to the possibility of numerous residents entering and exiting the site simultaneously, there is a need to exhibit extra caution and care when utilizing the facility.
- No skateboarding, rollerblading, bicycling or similar activities permitted.
- The facility is protected by 24 hour recorded video surveillance.
- Anyone found in violation of the following rules shall be subject to applicable fines and/or penalties as the law allows.
- Grass clippings, garbage, dirt, stones and/or garden waste
- Treated lumber, landscaping timber, cross ties, painted wood, wooden furniture and/or construction & demolition debris
- Trash, household hazardous waste, medical waste, bulky items (appliances, furniture), tires and/or scrap metal
- Branches over 14 inches in diameter and/or tree stumps
- NO BAGS OR CONTAINERS ARE TO BE LEFT AT THE SITE