Silver Spring Township Parks & Recreation Department
Silver Spring Township organized a five-member Recreation Advisory Council (RAC) in 1964. During the early 1980's vacancies within RAC were not filled and RAC was disbanded. With the growing demand for recreation programs and facilities, the Township Board of Supervisors reinstated RAC in 1988 to review fees, rules, polices and ordinances as they relate to parks and rec within the Township.
In 1966, the Board hired the first paid professional as the Recreation Program Coordinator. The dueis included establishing recreational activities to meet the needs of the residents and to act as a liaison to the Township staff and RAC. Later, the Township added a Parks & Recreation Director and Assistant Recreation Director. Today (2019), the Department has one Parks & Recreation Manager (Full-Time) and a Recreation Program Coordinator (Full-Time). The department works in collaboration with the Public Works/Parks Division to oversee the maintenance of the parks and park improvements.
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-4:00 pm (closed on most holidays and weekends)
- Location: 8 Flowers Drive, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
- Phone: 717-766-0178
- Fax: 717-766-7635
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristy Moore, Parks & Recreation Manager Extension 2503 Email: email@example.com
- Missy Stimer, Recreation Program Coordinator Extension 2505 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recreation Advisory Council:
- Chair, Scott Pepperman
- Vice Chair, Jim Smith
- Members: Dave Powell, Alan Severino, Mark Yasenchak (Secretary), Sam Herbert
To provide quality parks and recreation facilities and services that meet the community's growing needs by utilizing staff and citizen resources to foster environmental stewardship, recreation and wellness, education, and support the local economy.
The vision is to ensure an active and healthy community where a majority of our citizens are within a 15-minute walk of a park, and where all people can reach their full wellness potential supported by recreational programs, facilities, parks, natural open space, and services.