Why Silver Spring?
James Silver was an early settler in the area now known as Silver Spring Township which was organized as a Township bearing his name in 1757. The Township is situated on major east-west and north-south transportation routes, and shares the rich Revolutionary and Civil War heritage of the region. This strategic location continues to offer benefits that attract residential, industrial, and commercial development to the municipality. The Township is comprised of 33.6 square miles with a population of 13,657 (2010 Census). As a Township of the Second Class, Silver Spring Township is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors. Municipal services include Administration, Police, Public Works, Planning & Zoning, Building & Codes, and Parks & Recreation. Fire protection services are provided by the Silver Spring Community Fire Company and the New Kingstown Fire Company. Emergency Medical Services are provided by the Silver Spring Ambulance and Rescue Association.
Historic Huston Mill
The Historic Mill, located in Willow Mill Park, has been a local landmark since the late 1790's, and is named for James S. Huston, who owned and operated the gristmill from the 1880's through the early 20th century. Today, evidence of the mill race and interior machinery is gone, but the mill building survives as a reminder of past times (public access is not available). A non-profit group called the "Friends of Willow Mill" was established 23 years ago in Silver Spring Township to raise funds and support the restoration of the historic mill as a community center. The group raised enough money to get through the first phase of restoration (2016-2018), which included all new roofing, interior framing, windows and doors. Funding is still needed for subsequent phases to complete the restoration of the mill. If you’re interested in getting involved with the Friends Group or would like to make a donation, please contact Kristy Moore, Parks & Recreation Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (717) 766-0178.