Building & Codes Permit Requirements

What's the difference between a building permit & zoning permit?

A zoning permit is required to place a structure on the lot. A building permit is required to ensure its structure or repair is built in a safe manner.

Who is responsible for applying for a Permit?

The property owner is responsible for obtaining a building and/or zoning permit. The property owner may appoint an authorized agent to apply for the permit.

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required by Silver Spring Township when an owner or authorized contractor (applicant) who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building structure and facility or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated by the PA Uniform Construction Code, (UCC)) Act 45. An application to the Building Code Official (BCO), and a permit is required to be obtained prior to the start of work. 

Building permits are not required if...

  • Water tanks that do not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1
  • Sidewalks and driveways that are 30 inches or less above adjacent grade and not placed over a basement or story below it
  • Swings and other playgrounds equipment accessory to a one-or-two family dwelling
  • Window awnings attached to an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall

Building Permit Forms & Applications

Planning & Zoning Permit Forms & Applications